The restoration process of Downtown Detroit’s Old Wayne County Building is finally complete after two years. Ownership group 600 Randolph SN LLC purchased one of the most architecturally striking buildings in the Motor City in July 2014 for $13.4 million, and the firm from New York spent a further $7 million on the renovation efforts. Crain’s Detroit Business reports that work focused primarily on “the exterior masonry, window restoration and exterior lighting… [as well as] work on the stairs and concrete around the building.”
Owners 600 Randolph SN LLC said back in May 2017 that they are seeking a single tenant to fill the 225,000-square-foot space. Interesting tenants that have been floated could include the City of Detroit using the 116-year-old building as City Hall, a boutique hotel, a museum, or a large automotive company. For example, Cadillac is moving its headquarters back from New York City to a 150,000-square-foot building in Warren, Michigan.
Quinn Evans Architects was the architectural firm on the renovations, The Christman Co. was the general contractor, and Farbman Group is the firm marketing the building for lease.
The Detroit News spoke to Eric Kehoe, the board president for Preservation Detroit, on the renovations. “People love to see historic buildings like this restored…It’s an energizing project. Their work shows that preservation is not only economically feasible, but the best option for development in the city.”
The Old Wayne County Building opened in 1902 and was designed by the controversial architect John Scott, who left the city a large sum of money in his will under the condition that they build a statue honoring him. The building was formerly owned and occupied by employees of the Wayne County executive branch, but it has been sitting vacant since 2009, when the country moved its employees into the Guardian Building.